Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Invasion of the ladybugs!

Say hello to our leetle friends...
Our house has apparently become a haven for Japanese lady beetles this winter.  I first noticed them in November when they were all clustered at the peak of the ceiling in our livingroom and until I used the binoculars on them, I thought I had a black mold problem.  The peak of the ceiling is at least 20 feet tall, so unless I got out a ridiculously tall ladder and ventured up there with my hand vacuum, they weren't going anywhere.  Eventually they disappeared and I thought that was the end of them.  The end of them that is until last week.

For some reason, they are drawn to Nugget's room.  They are EVERYWHERE.  On her humidifier, in her dresser, on her windows, on the floor, on her owl nightlight; it's beyond ridiculous!   I tried crushing them, but they leave a brownish-yellow stain and also let out a unpleasant odor.  Did I mention that they bite?  While reading Nugget bedtime stories the other night, one crawled up my pant leg and chomped down on me. So yeah, other than bug bombing the house (which is not going to happen) I guess we are going to be stuck with our invaders for awhile.  I think I'm going to have the hubby crawl around on the roof come spring and look for places these little buggers are coming in and plug the holes with caulk.  Maybe until then I can get a few carnivorous plants and start feeding the lady beetles to them for fun or is that a tad twisted?

No comments:

Post a Comment