Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Feeling Crafty & Thrifty

It seems like ever since I became a mom that I have a hawk eye for finding toys on the side of the road that no one wants anymore.  I found Nugget's John Deere riding toy in the neighbor's trash pile and all that was wrong with it was that it needed a new charger and battery ($60ish), I found old school Tonka metal dump trucks, and yesterday, what at first I thought was a major score, a train table compatible with the Thomas wooden trains.  Nugget is a huge, and I mean huge Thomas fan.  She knows the Roll Call song, knows the name of every one of Thomas' friends, and could probably watch the show 24/7 if I let her.  So when I saw the train table on the side of the road on our way home from daycare, I did a 180 attempted to load it up in the car.  In my adrenaline rush I failed to notice that the tabletop was trashed, there were parts missing, and the table itself wasn't in the best of shape, but dang it, I got that table in the jeep complete with the kids, packages I needed to ship, and groceries, and I was proud!

After finding the train table online with a little Google-fu, I discovered that when it was new it was selling for almost $200.  In the end, I'm not going to be able to salvage the top, there's just too much yucky sticky stuff on it, but I can save the tracks and bridge it had on it and keep the table base. The table base needs a good cleaning and tightening of the screws.  What I'm probably going to do (and hopefully I'll find time before August which is Nugget's birthday) is buy some plywood, either felt or low pile AstroTurf, some sand, plexiglass, and type of paint that I can make to look like water and make Nugget her very own one-of-a-kind train table.  When my brother and I were kids we had our own HO scale train set and I built most of the buildings, so this should come natural, right?  Well, after hauling that damn table home, I am determined to make this work!  haha

Follow amy's board diy train table makeovers on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment