Friday, February 28, 2014

Bargain Hunting the Geekius Domesticus Way

Raising kids is expensive.  I knew this when we had Nugget, but I didn't have any idea of a dollar figure.  Cribs, diapers, clothes, pjs, toys, car seats, high chairs, the list goes on and on.  According to a study that came out last year, it costs an average of $241,080 to raise a child from birth to age 18.  That figure doesn't even include college or trade school, which is insane to me.  I'm not a extreme couponer, but I do like the satisfaction of getting a good deal when I can.

Enter Amazon.com and Warehouse Deals. I honestly hate the word "pre-owned" as it just sounds cheesy as heck but if I can buy something that's new and the packaging may be damaged but the item is okay, sign me up!  I bought Hank's bedding, lamps for the house, and now Hank's big boy car seat.  My biggest saves so far were Hank's bedding ($60 less than original price) and his car seat ($50 less than original price.)  So yeah, I can live with the fact it doesn't have a box or the box has extra tape on it.  All the item are backed by Amazon's guarantee, return policy, and best of all, Amazon Prime shipping.  I'm the first to admit I love the fact I don't have to drive to the store and have it arrive a day or two after I order it.  Granted, Prime costs $79 a year, but if you factor in Instant Video and if you do a lot of online shopping, it almost pays for itself in the long run.

I've also been utilizing the heck out of craigslist too,  Nugget is a huge Thomas the Tank Engine fan and I'm pretty sure I've seen every movie on Netflix and Prime Instant video.  The wooden trains are not cheap, and I know how much she loves them.  I've been able to score quite a few of them via craigslist and get her lots of track too.  Next on my craigslist search, Tidmouth Sheds and Sir Topham Hat.

So yeah, while I may not have a basement full of toothpaste and mac and cheese boxes, I do know how to save a buck or two when needed, and as Martha says,"It's a good thing."

1 comment:

  1. I love me some deals too. I went to JC Penney earlier in the week and got Small Fry a $38 dress for the BIL's wedding for $5. And a shrug to match for $3. Score! I also have Amazon Prime and LOVE IT. It definitely pays for itself. Since I'm retired military, I still have exchange and commissary privileges, which is nice as well. No sales tax is a plus! With me being a SAHM (my retirement check is pitiful compared to full pay and allowances - and it all goes to bill prior to my marriage anyway) I try to find deals where I can get them. And I am not too proud to take hand-me-downs either.

    ReplyDelete